When a new baby is born all of the attention is given to them naturally (which the parents love) but you know who else really needs it? The mom! Just a few days after Beck was born I got a package in the mail from a dear friend and while I was expecting a little something for Beck, it was filled with things for me. After opening it I pretty much lost it. Then one night another friend brought over a carton of Ben and Jerry’s and while eating it I literally said, “Ice cream has never tasted so good.”
I felt so out of sorts for that first couple of weeks that any help people offered I graciously took. If you have a friend who is a new mom, here are some nice things you could do for her that she will love. And be prepared for tears to be shed because that’s how hormones and lack of sleep roll.
- Bring over dinner or groceries (especially snacks for the nightstand) or just a carton of ice cream. Nursing moms are starving and barely have time to eat a handful of stale cereal.
- Offer to watch the baby for an hour so they can take a nap. While they’re napping, do their dishes.
- Gift a subscription to Netflix or DVDs of their favorite TV show. Feedings are long and frequent so it’s nice to have something to watch.
- After a couple of weeks, invite them to go out for a short little outing like lunch. Chances are they just have an hour window but it’s nice to get out of the house.
- Tell them they look beautiful. They won’t believe you but tell them anyway.
- Tell them how cute and awesome their baby is.
What are some things that friends did for you that you appreciated?
photos by Jennifer Little of Sugar Photography
This post is sponsored by Disney Baby. I’ll be joining the Disney Baby blogging team next month, and look forward to sharing these kinds of stories (projects/ideas/etc) with you over there! Stay tuned for more details!