Let me just preface this tutorial by saying everything that could go wrong did. Luckily Molly was my make sidekick during the project who kept me from not giving up. Behold the sign that frustrated me to no end:
– 2×4 mdf board, 1/4″ thick (don’t choose any material that is thicker than this)
– circle template (we used a bowl)
– drill with 1/2″ bit (we tried three different sizes and this one is it)
– three strands bulb lights (I got these at Target)
Set board (this was the first mistake, we started with one that was too thick) out on work surface and use your circle template to pencil in the rings. Make sure to measure the distance between each circle so it turns out evenly. Make small markings where you want the bulbs to go, about 1 1/2″ apart.
– Raise the board (we used books) and drill holes where you put each marking.
– Paint the front of the surface and let dry (optional).
– Unscrew each bulb from the socket. Put bulb through the front of the hole and screw back into socket in the back of the board. Make sure bulbs are screwed in all the way.
– Plug in before the start of the games like the ceremonial lighting of a Christmas tree.
Now you’re probably wondering why my isn’t lit up. Well, this morning when I plugged it in I went to adjust a bulb and pop! all of the bulbs went dead. Project fail. But if you look at it from this angle they kind of look lit –