a chocolate chip cookie taste off is my fave

October 24, 2012

Here’s what my table looked like last weekend -

For the taste off I invited anybody who wanted to participate to submit their recipe beforehand so we didn’t have any that overlapped and so we could have them all printed. The only rule was that you couldn’t be upset if your cookie didn’t win.

Overall there were eight varieties including a few you submitted – The NY Times/Jacques Torres recipe, the Baked recipe and the classic one everybody seems to know.

Then there were score cards (available for you to print your own!) to fill out as you went on your taste journey. You could eat as many or as little as you wanted, just as long as you didn’t score your own.

We tallied those scores and whittled it down to the top two contenders. Then everybody had to try those two and decide which one was superior.

After we all were sick to our stomachs, simple kraft boxes were filled with cookies to take home and recipe cards were laid out so you could grab your favorites. I really should have sent everybody home with a bottle of Pepto-bismol.

So now I’m sure you’re wondering which recipe was the decided favorite. Well, the honors went to the Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (milk chocolate chips were used instead of the bittersweet chocolate).

Here’s my take on the outcome – the winning cookie was very classic, the kind that mom would make. I personally like the flavor of the browned butter variety or the NY Times recipe better but the classic type appealed to a wider audience. I guess I can’t argue with that.

Party success.

• On October 24, 2012 , Joy | Frock Files said:

What a lovely table. The milk bottle is fantastic — did you find it somewhere special, or is there a market near you that sells milk that way? I love the glass bottles that Whole Foods sells goat milk in. And, of course, those cookies are making me hungry.

• On October 24, 2012 , Yelle said:

This is such a great idea! It could really be entertaining for a party to indulge in this kind of taste off!

• On October 24, 2012 , Winter said:

I absolutely love this idea…we have to do it for our next Iron Chef get-together!

• On October 24, 2012 , lisa g said:

love this! what a fun night…throw some wine in for while the votes are being tallied :) and it would so great. i’m going to do this!

• On October 24, 2012 , Melissa@Julia's Bookbag said:

Any party with cookies is bound to be a success! What a fun time you all must have had :)

• On October 24, 2012 , Karen said:

I’ve been anxiously waiting for these results! I’ve never heard of the winning recipe, so maybe it’s time to test it this weekend…

• On October 24, 2012 , Justine said:

What an awesome party idea. My favorite CCC are browned butter ones too, but I may have to try the winning recipe…

• On October 24, 2012 , Lena said:

MUST recreate–this is so perfect!

• On October 24, 2012 , Rachael said:

I should do this for my husband’s birthday. He is the biggest chocolate chip cookie fan ever!

• On October 24, 2012 , Erica said:

YAY! I was wondering which cookie would reign supreme. These look so good!

• On October 24, 2012 , Mal @ The Chic Geek said:

I love this! Amazing idea, who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies?

• On October 24, 2012 , marta said:

i love everything about this, melanie. bravo!

• On October 25, 2012 , anna - Today I Like Blog said:

great!! what mum would have baked it’s always a win!!!!
    I love the heart cups :)
    would have loved to try the winner cookie!

• On October 25, 2012 , Nikki Kelly said:

Browned butter chocolate chip cookies? Whe is a recipient for these not included in this post? I must know more!

Nikki Kelly @ the ambitious procrastinator

• On October 25, 2012 , rhonda sittig said:

You sure know how to have fun!! This could be the best party of the year! thanks.

• On October 27, 2012 , Weekend Links: Hunkering Down | Frock Files said:

[...] agree: this is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe [...]

• On October 29, 2012 , sherri lynn said:

I love how you did this party – from the invites and score cards to the take-home boxes! I’m curious to try the “winning” recipe. But I have to agree with you – my favorite cookie is the browned butter chocolate chip cookie. What recipe did you use?

• On October 31, 2012 , Polly Rowan said:

amazing idea! I need to try some of these recipes! YUM! x

• On November 2, 2012 , A Few Of My Favorite Things | said:

[...] Chocolate chip cookie taste off. [...]

• On November 2, 2012 , Flag Football for The Weekend | a subtle revelry said:

[...] Host a chocolate chip cookie tasting party for a break from the pumpkin next week. [...]

• On November 20, 2012 , Farrah said:

It was such a fun party!! Thanks again for the invite. Still bitter I just missed winning the fancy mixing bowls. : )

• On December 4, 2012 , Happy National Cookie Day « Peppered Thought – The Spice of Life said:

[...] day and made half-batches of several different recipes, boxed them up along with a scorecard (c/o You Are My Fave), sat down with a glass of soy milk and got to the [...]

• On December 21, 2012 , Brooke Premo said:

I don’t know how I missed this, Melanie, but I love it! Where are those adorable black polka dot drawstrings bags from, might I ask?

• On January 17, 2013 , ayesha said:

Where did you source your paper cups?

• On January 20, 2013 , Host A Cookie Bake Off — Celebrations at Home said:

[...] a fun {brilliant} idea – hosting a chocolate chip cookie bake-off.  This idea comes from You Are My Fave, and I thought it very apropos since, ironically, I’ve seen a lot of posts lately pronouncing [...]

• On May 29, 2013 , an ice cream crawl is my fave | You Are My Fave said:

[...] for your city’s best frozen treats. You could even have a score card like we did for the chocolate chip cookie party. Add it to your summer bucket [...]

• On August 11, 2014 , tubs of cookies are my fave | You Are My Fave said:

[…] PS A chocolate chip cookie taste off […]

• On August 21, 2014 , essentiallyjuiceshop.zendesk.com said:

ace weight loss pill

• On August 22, 2014 , http://iteamsanz.com/2014/08/20/cheap-secret-agent-camcorders-as-well-as-positive-aspects said:

Check out the appropriate sections below and you will find a summary of what we consider the best of the best
    of our camera articles oriented towards specific age brackets.
    No one is ever going to know that you’re installing hidden cameras either.

Mini spy cameras are as small like a shirt button can view
    and record every one of the activities running nearby.
    Wireless types about the other hand are vulnerable to signal interference the further the receiver is found from your
    camera itself. Spy camera night vision motion The grip is firm and secure to hold,
    but personally I prefer any additional room you get for the
    Nikon D90 or D5000, because my little finger was often in limbo at the base of the camera.