three steps to better toy storage are my fave

November 6, 2012

If you haven’t noticed, around here I like to present readers with doable and practical ideas (yes, I believe that pretty party decorations are practical). So to continue with this theme I’m starting a how-to series of three steps to better (blank). All steps being things that are easy to implement for better living. Today, we’re talking toy and book storage.

Step 1: Have functional and good looking storage in the room you plant yourself in the most.

My friend told me I would want a coffee table that had storage but I couldn’t find anything that wasn’t bulky and visually heavy for our small space. I opted for an airy table that’s easy to move and added a storage cube from Land of Nod that pulls double duty as seating when needed.

Step 2: If it’s attractive, let it function as decoration.

We have open shelving in Beck’s room to stack books and to display art and cute toys. And his animals are scattered throughout the house.

Step 3: Hide away the rest in solid, easy to access bins and place them in play designated areas of the house.

If you come to a point where the toys are greater than the amount of storage it’s time for a game of keep, donate or trash.

There you go, three easy steps.

all photos by Jennifer Little of Sugar Photography

sources: stacking ring, wooden sorter, stuffed fox

• On November 6, 2012 , Gina said:

What a great coffee table idea. I love how light and airy it is. Toy storage can be such a nightmare. We periodically pack a bunch of ours away in plastic shoe bins and pull them out as quiet time kits during afternoon rest time. It really eliminates clutter and it’s like having new toys when she doesn’t play with them every day.

• On November 6, 2012 , Tamsin said:

Very nice! Although, let’s revisit this in a couple of years when Beck has a few more birthdays and Christmases under his little belt :)

• On November 6, 2012 , Amanda Jane said:

Such great tips!

• On November 6, 2012 , little kitchie said:

lovely! although i do not have kids yet, i am an elementary school teacher and will put some of these tips to use in my classroom! :)

• On November 6, 2012 , Katie said:

Ooh, I think I’m going to like this series especially if there are pictures of your home :)

Today, I’m headed to the container store to pick up some toy storage bins and try my best to organize the girls toys before Christmas. I’m going for a Jordan Ferney inspired organization. Toy storage is so hard! They need toys, but because we don’t have a toy room or a space dedicated completely to play, it’s a real challenge.

Also love the comment about revisiting when Beck has a few more birthdays and Christmases under his belt. So true! People give things that you don’t want and sometimes your kid loves it! It hurts.

• On November 6, 2012 , Janelle Shultz said:

boy i would notice those schleich animals anywhere! :) my daughter, chloe, who’s now 8, collects those! we have 2 huge baskets full, as well as the nursery & barn. it is her “thing”. i wanted to let you know of a place that i’ve ordered from many times…

they have quick & great service! and often times the prices are way less than you would find online or in a toy store!

• On November 6, 2012 , Yelle said:

I love letting cute toys be decor!

• On November 6, 2012 , Stephanie @ henry happened said:

This is definitely something I struggle with having 3 kids – the stuff can be overwhelming. We moved recently and I decided not to unpack 3/4 of the toy boxes. That helped :) Love those cute toy animals!

• On November 6, 2012 , Natalie Diaz said:

Really this going to be a great inspiration to me as I have kids and its always difficult to store and organize there belongings.None other than this can be helpful for me apart from this.

• On November 7, 2012 , Rachel Schindler said:

Love all the storage ideas, but where did you find the little animals? :) if you don’t mind sharing…

• On November 9, 2012 , Elisa H. said:

I love that airy table. Where did you get it?