three steps to make a last minute vacation actually happen are my fave

January 9, 2013

photo-7
Last month I made a trip to NYC to visit some dear friends and their baby girl Matilda. The thing about this trip was that I barely planned it in advance. It was one of those times where the thought came into my head that I should go and instead of making excuses for why that couldn’t be the case (and trust me, I had a long list), I just booked the ticket and made it work. Maybe that doesn’t sound like that big of a deal to you fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pantsers out there, but for me it was kind of revolutionary and I want to make it happen more often. So I thought back as to why this one happened and came up with three steps:

photo-5
1. Enlist a travel buddy. I knew Ryan wouldn’t be able to come with me and I didn’t want to make the trip alone so I went out on a limb and asked my friend Kirsten and to my surprise she didn’t hesitate to say yes. Knowing she was on board was the push I needed to actually book the tickets.

PicMonkey Collage
2. Find ways to make it affordable. We traveled a couple weeks before the busy season and on weekdays. Instead of staying at a hotel, we found a well priced apartment rental via Enrout. We ate well but stuck with places like Shake Shack that didn’t break the bank. We went to attractions that didn’t cost money.

photo
3. Choose not to complain (or make excuses!), last minute planning means mishaps will occur. This trip came with obstacles (two little obstacles to be exact) that could have made it disastrous but we went in with the attitude that we would laugh the whole way through and that we did.

Vacation success. Now where should I drag Beck to next?

Psst, I’m on Instagram now.

• On January 9, 2013 , Little Kitchie said:

Great, inspiring post! My husband loves doing spontaneous trips, but sometimes they stress me out. I love the way you break it down here! I’m encouraged!

• On January 9, 2013 , Emily M said:

That last stroller pic is beyond adorable! Those 2 are super duper cuties! So cool that you made this trip happen with your little one. Props to you.

• On January 9, 2013 , Anne said:

Yes! I’m going to use this post to show my husband how we need to travel more- even if it’s last minute!

• On January 9, 2013 , The New Diplomats Wife said:

good for you – i love a good last minute trip and your recommendations are spot on ;) sometimes its’ the surprises that stick out in our memory the most!

• On January 9, 2013 , Janssen said:

This is so fun! What a great little trip (I need to do one like this with my sisters. . . ).

• On January 9, 2013 , Nicole(Whole Strides) said:

This is fabulous! I would love something like this with a friend.

• On January 9, 2013 , Lena said:

The sound of a spur of the moment vacation sounds amazing!

• On January 9, 2013 , Treva said:

Portland. The next stop is definitely portland.

• On January 9, 2013 , Corrie Anne said:

I love it.. We finally just booked our first real vacation last night. I couldn’t believe what a hard time I had committing!

• On January 9, 2013 , Jeannie said:

Awesome NYC! Bold move to travel :) Shake Shack is mouthwatering delicious, good choice. I think it’s better than In-n-Out on the West Coast here but shh don’t tell!

• On January 10, 2013 , Joy said:

Good for you! Those last minute trips are my favorites. One spring, I found a really great priced ticket to London and emailed my best friend there about it. She said, “Come right now!” So I did, and it was one of the most memorable trips of my life. I’m super impressed that you did this with two little ones in tow. This officially makes you my hero.

• On January 10, 2013 , Katie said:

Well, I know where you should drag Beck next. Santa Clara. Please!

PS: Your most recent 10 posts just showed up in my reader today. Weird right?

• On January 10, 2013 , Karen said:

Wish we could have caught up while you were on the East Coast! Maybe Philly can be next?!!