meet cutes are my fave

February 7, 2013

hello. also, i love you.
Print by The Big Harumph on Etsy

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day I’ve been thinking about meet cutes, a term I only became familiar with after watching The Holiday but then became obsessed with using it every chance I got. I wouldn’t say the first meeting between Ryan and I was necessarily claims for romantic comedy rights: a dim lit basement, uncoordinated dancing happening around us, me commenting he looks like David Duchovney and him trying to impress me with the fact that there’s a Blodgett Canyon in Montana. Nonetheless, I’m sure there are some classic meet cute stories you have to share, so spill it. I’m feeling romantic today.

This short Par Chance film from Tancori has a meet cute all girls dream of.

PS I find it amusing how often Mindy Kaling brings up the topic of meet cutes on her show and on Twitter. Apparently she even sent out a meet cute kit with her Christmas cards last year. Ha!

This is a sponsored post. Thank you for being supportive of You Are My Fave and my sponsors.

• On February 7, 2013 , Kiley Durham said:

My and my husband’s meeting was more meet awkward than meet cute but he won me over anyway :) But I-like you-have been obsessed with the term ever since that sweet old man explained the term to Kate Winslet.
    More importantly, what do you think is in a meet cute kit and where can I find one??? Sounds fab!
    xo…
    ki

• On February 7, 2013 , Lena said:

Oh how I love a good meet cute! John and I actually meet when my mother handed him a giant, carefully labeled box of my individually packed “lacy underthings”. Awesome.

• On February 7, 2013 , barb said:

My boyfriend and I totally had a meet cute! We met on the local train – we smiled, he switched seats to say hello, and we chatted. Before long, we figured out that we’d been living a quarter-mile away from each other for 20 years, and that he was close friends with my cousin and knew my dad! We’ve been together, being cute, ever since :-)
    (I posted the full story on my blog on our 1 year anniversary: http://bandsnbows.blogspot.com/2011/04/onewholeyear.html )

• On February 7, 2013 , Sarah said:

Mindy Kaling can do no wrong! Also, my husband and I met after he played a show (he drums) and I poked him in the arm and said “good job” as he walked by me… to which he replied “oh thanks, you’re friends with McKay right?” and that was our whole conversation. I don’t think it was super cute, but maybe Mindy would beg to differ.

• On February 7, 2013 , Laura said:

I love a good meet-cute! And that is one of my favorite parts of that movie. I don’t think my husband and I have a genuine meet-cute – but I did beg a mutual friend to introduce us because I thought his high and tight was cute!

• On February 8, 2013 , Dana said:

I just received this print in the mail after ordering it! I love it! So cute!

• On February 8, 2013 , MEET CUTES AND BABY TOES | Westover Manor said:

[...] are a few things that caught my eye this week // 1. Melanie talked all about Meet Cutes, which was hilarious because I had JUST finished the Holiday when I read her post and was all like [...]

• On February 9, 2013 , Melanie said:

Ours is a ‘it’s cute to me’ kinda meet cute. We met on the school bus in 7th grade. He moved in ‘next door’ whic in country talk means a horse pasture away. He sat in my seat, 3rd from the back on the right, on a completely empty bus. I tried every day for nearly 4 years to get him to find a different seat.

• On February 11, 2013 , canary said:

at a show in dc. i couldn’t see the drummer. i asked the super cute boy i strategically stood next to if i could put my hand on his shoulder to steady myself while i stood on tiptoes. one song later his hand was one the small of my back. two songs later it was wrapped around my waist.

at the end of the show he asked for my number but i gave him my email. he had no paper to write it down, but he tried to remember. my email address is canary@… but he had forgotten by the time he got home, and apparently emailed sparrow@… and swallow@… and parrot@… and chickadee@… before he finally got it right.