a diy wahoo board is my fave

May 2, 2013

Today’s post is from super crafter and cute mom, Amelia of The Homebook. I’ve never played Wahoo but this diy is leaving me ready for a game night.

diy wahoo board game

diy wahoo board game

Wahoo! Have you ever played? This game was a staple of my childhood. It’s fun for all ages (as long as all players know how to count) because there’s really no skill involved—it’s all based on your luck of the dice. Which means my competitive husband, who usually beats me in every game, sometimes loses. Precisely why I like it! Even better, it’s quite easy to make your own game board, as pretty as you like. I think that means everyone is a winner.

diy wahoo board game

Here’s what you’ll need:

• one 2ft x 2ft piece of  ¾ inch plywood
      • drill with a ½ inch bit
      • pencil and ruler, for measuring
      • sandpaper
      • ¾ inch wooden balls (20)
      • ¾ inch wooden blocks (4)
      • paint in 4 different colors
      • foam brush

diy wahoo board game

Step 1:

Find the center of your sheet of plywood (12inches) and make a mark with your pencil. From that center mark, measure 1 ½ inches up, down, left and right, and mark with your pencil. From each of those marks, make 5 more marks, 1 ½ inches apart, forming a cross on the board. Make a mark on each side of those marks, 1 ½ inches apart, so that eventually each “arm” of the cross has three rows of six marks. Once your cross is formed, make 5 marks, 1 ½ inches apart, diagonally in each corner of the board. (You can sort of eyeball this part.) Phew! Are you still with me? It’s easier than it sounds, I promise.

diy wahoo board game

Step 2:

With a ½ inch bit, drill a hole at each pencil mark, except for the first mark you made, the center of the board. Erase that! Leave that un-drilled! Once all the holes have been drilled, sand the board until smooth.

diy wahoo board game

Step 3:

Paint the wooden balls, five in each color. Let dry.

diy wahoo board game

Step 4:

Using the tip of a paintbrush, dab dots onto the blocks to look like dice. Make 4 dice, one in each color. Let dry.

diy wahoo board game

diy wahoo board game

Step 5:

Round up some friends and start playing! You can find directions on how to play Wahoo HERE. Good luck!

See more from Amelia on The Homebook

• On May 2, 2013 , Lettie said:

so so fun! I love Wahoo!

• On May 2, 2013 , Ann said:

We call it Aggravation!

• On May 2, 2013 , Amanda said:

This looks really fun! I’ve actually never heard of this game before, so I think I will have to check it out!

• On May 2, 2013 , Lena said:

New to me, too–I love a new board game!

• On May 2, 2013 , Danyelle said:

A handmade game? That is so cool! The game piece colors are really pretty too. Which is super important.

• On May 2, 2013 , Kelly said:

I’m from a town called Wahoo. I kind of always thought it was just our thing.

• On May 3, 2013 , Kayla said:

I’ve never played this game but I love the idea of homemade board games as gifts!

• On May 4, 2013 , Lena said:

This is genius, love it!

• On May 7, 2013 , Audrey - This Little Street said:

Love this – really cool project, Melanie!

• On May 10, 2013 , shar said:

Wahoo pre-dated the commercially manufactured game of Aggravation. I still have the wooden board my grandfather made for us in the late 1950s. Thanks for reminding me of sweet memories.

• On June 16, 2013 , DIY Wahoo Board Game | pinfollow.me feeds said:

[...] Like Click here for instructions on how to make your very own game of Wahoo, complete with dice! [...]

• On October 17, 2013 , DIY Wahoo Board Game « Today's top 10 Diy Tutorials said:

[…] Click here for instructions on how to make your very own game of Wahoo, complete with dice! […]

• On August 22, 2014 , iamsport.org said:

If you are blogging to make money, your posting efforts may take even longer
    to show results since you are asking people to part with their hard earned income.
    Many a new face came forth from our computer
    monitors with the development of the blog and it. All images belong to their respective blog owners
    and are used as demonstrative purposes only.

• On August 31, 2014 , http://www.iamsport.org said:

More importantly, is it something that you are passionate about, or can contribute something to.
    Many a new face came forth from our computer monitors with the development of the blog and it.
    It might contain graphics, audio, video, flash and many other things.

• On December 8, 2014 , Jim said:

I am nearly 60. This was a favorite game we played when I was young. Our Wahoo board was not nearly as nice as yours, I remember it being painted grey. We did have 4 different color marbles, and only one die,which we shared. It was great fun!