Today’s post is from sweet Joy, the gal behind Frock Files. I think this surprise package put into lei form would be a huge hit as a kid’s party favor.
Since it’s summertime, I thought it would be fun to throw a luau and to send everyone home with a lei! Although flower leis are my favorite, they’re hard to make very far ahead of time and they start wilting pretty quickly. Instead, I decided to make a treasure lei for each of the guests. This is the lei that I made for my closest girlfriend.
– 8-12 assorted treasures
– 2-3 sheets tissue paper
– Washi tape
– Baker’s twine
– Flower clip or other decoration
1. Fold each piece of tissue paper in quarters lengthwise and overlap the end of one sheet with the next.
2. Lay the treasures out, leaving a few inches of room between each one. Keep them closer to one edge of the tissue paper.
3. Roll the tissue paper until it makes a long tube.
4. Join the overlapping center ends of the tissue paper with washi tape. Tie off each side of the center treasure with baker’s twine. Continue with remaining treasures.
5. To join the two ends of the lei, place a small treasure in one side. Overlap that end with the other end. Secure with washi tape.
6. Decorate with a flower clip, ribbon, or other decoration.
7. Hula the night away!
See more from Joy on Frock Files