a treasure lei is my fave

July 31, 2013

Today’s post is from sweet Joy, the gal behind Frock Files. I think this surprise package put into lei form would be a huge hit as a kid’s party favor.

treasure-lei-opener

Since it’s summertime, I thought it would be fun to throw a luau and to send everyone home with a lei! Although flower leis are my favorite, they’re hard to make very far ahead of time and they start wilting pretty quickly. Instead, I decided to make a treasure lei for each of the guests. This is the lei that I made for my closest girlfriend.

Materials:
- 8-12 assorted treasures
- 2-3 sheets tissue paper
- Washi tape
- Baker’s twine
- Flower clip or other decoration

treasure-lei-2

1. Fold each piece of tissue paper in quarters lengthwise and overlap the end of one sheet with the next.

2. Lay the treasures out, leaving a few inches of room between each one. Keep them closer to one edge of the tissue paper.

3. Roll the tissue paper until it makes a long tube.

PicMonkey Collage

4. Join the overlapping center ends of the tissue paper with washi tape. Tie off each side of the center treasure with baker’s twine. Continue with remaining treasures.

5. To join the two ends of the lei, place a small treasure in one side. Overlap that end with the other end. Secure with washi tape.

treasure-lei-5

6. Decorate with a flower clip, ribbon, or other decoration.

7. Hula the night away!

treasure-lei-closer

See more from Joy on Frock Files

• On July 31, 2013 , lyndsay // coco cake land said:

awww! so cute… totally reminds me of going to hawaii as a kid and getting those candy leis! so fun for a hawaiian themed party!

• On July 31, 2013 , Punctuation Mark said:

Great idea for a girl’s party!

• On July 31, 2013 , Sharon Garofalow said:

The cutest!!! LOVE this idea. My kids would go ape trying to tear this thing open!

• On July 31, 2013 , amber said:

I love this!

• On August 1, 2013 , Stephanie said:

Love this idea! I have fond memories of candy leis from summer visits to Hawaii as a child. My girls would love these!

• On August 1, 2013 , Links We Love | Dallas Shopping, Sales, Deals, Bargains, Home Decor, Beauty Products, Fashion, ShopTalk Blog D Magazine said:

[...] new online shop. Not usually an H&M girl, but for $10 tanks and tees, I’m in. This DIY treasure lei, complete with hidden treats. Who What Wear’s new beauty site, [...]

• On August 1, 2013 , Paola | Love+Cupcakes said:

I LOVE this! Can’t wait for an opportunity to make one! Thanks for the inspiration. -xo

• On August 1, 2013 , Mere said:

Love this Joy! So cute and so doable. This would be great for so many parties.

• On August 1, 2013 , Julie said:

How fun! I’m inspired to make some for Jolie’s preschool graduation this year. :) Great color choices, too!

• On August 6, 2013 , Tan of Squirrelly Minds said:

Oh my goodness Joy this is SO SWEET!

• On August 16, 2014 , baju anak murah said:

I’ve been browsing on-line greater than 3 hours these
    days, but I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is beautiful price sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made
    good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.