a first birthday party is my fave

April 23, 2013

On Saturday we held a small party for Beck. He loved the attention and just kept on clapping in excitement. While a majority of the guest list couldn’t make it, the dear friends who did come made it a special day for Beck and us. Here are some of the details:

you are my fave: first birthday party

you are my fave: first birthday party

Kirsten designed this accordion folded invitation that I loved right away because it captures Beck’s personality. On the backside there is a repeat 1 pattern so it acted as an invitation and envelope in one.

you are my fave: first birthday party

you are my fave: first birthday party

I thought and thought about decorations and kept on having party planner block. I think it was the fact that I had looked forward to my child’s first birthday before I was even pregnant. The day before I decided on the marquee style 1 sign and the addition of the 1s on the balloon strings, nothing too over the top but it achieved the look I was going for and Beck was delighted by it all.

For the marquee sign, I followed Jordan’s vintage marquee diy instructions and it was project success. For the balloon strings, I cut 1s out of paper and hot glued them on the end.

you are my fave: first birthday party

you are my fave: first birthday party

you are my fave: first birthday party

you are my fave: first birthday party

The party was held in the morning so breakfast food was served (which I didn’t get many photos of). We had a make your own waffle station set up so they stayed fresh and there was also quiche, blueberry muffins, sausage and juice. A simple menu but everyone left full and I didn’t have to stress over it (mostly because Ryan helped a lot, we’ve been watching Barefoot Contessa).

you are my fave: first birthday party

I printed Beck’s round little face onto glassine bags and set a stack of them next to donuts to take home as favors.

As I look through these photos I can’t help but smile and think of what a perfect weekend we had celebrating our little guy. I have to admit that as a blogger I can get caught up in having every detail be just perfect and stress about coming up with something innovative. While deciding on details for this party I kept on feeling overwhelmed by it all and I realized that that was silly and I should be simply enjoying the day. So I let some things go and stuck with fairly low key decorations and I really loved how it all turned out. Goes to show what combatting overthinking can do for you.

• On April 23, 2013 , whitney deal said:

I love how perfectly simple everything looks! It feels like it was a wonderful celebration :) Can’t believe it has been a year!

• On April 23, 2013 , Joy said:

A perfect first birthday party! I love the idea of having a waffle station. (It’s my favorite thing about staying at hotels that offer breakfast.) Also, fact: Beck’s smiling mug is the best part of this party.

• On April 23, 2013 , jaime @ laviejaime said:

I adore the 1′s hanging from the balloons- such a cute idea! Happy belated 1st bday to Beck!

• On April 23, 2013 , The New Diplomat's Wife said:

perfect and simple, but still with plenty of personal touches. Love the invite and the bags…and also, i love donuts. congrats on your first year!

• On April 23, 2013 , Danyelle said:

Beck makes the best faces. Love the happy birthday banner and the donut favors. Such a great idea for a breakfast party. Leslie Knope would be proud. xo

• On April 23, 2013 , Ashley said:

What a delightful way to celebrate!

• On April 23, 2013 , amy c said:

Loved the simplicity of the party. What a special day for your babe. That marquee sign! Love it!

• On April 23, 2013 , Lindy said:

Fantastic party! I love everything! So fun!

Okay now I think it’s high time you do a post on how you take your pictures. They’re amazing! Just saying! : )

• On April 23, 2013 , Kayla said:

Love it! I have an 11 week old and am already planning her first birthday hah! Where did you get those fantastic plates, napkins & wooden forks??? Please do tell!

• On April 23, 2013 , Meg said:

The bday invites are soooo cute!
    So very unique. :)

• On April 23, 2013 , Anna Liesemeyer said:

Oh Melanie! I just love all the details! My son’s first birthday was so bittersweet. Such a special time:)

• On April 23, 2013 , Sarah Ann Noel said:

It’s so sweet.
    But what you said is so true. I think I went overboard with Iris’ first birthday party. This year, there are a million other things I could have done or a bajillion other photos I could have gotten–but I was too busy soaking it up with her. Loved every minute.

• On April 23, 2013 , Audrey - This Little Street said:

Happy birthday to your wee one :) Love the invitation. Simple and cute!

• On April 23, 2013 , Karen said:

Breakfast food for parties is THE BEST – who wouldn’t want a doughnut as the take home?!! The details you chose were perfect.

• On April 23, 2013 , Diana said:

Breakfast parties are the best! It really is the perfect party food.

Beck’s party looks awesome and that photo of him on the invite makes him look like a famous ol’ comedian or something. Incredibly adorable!

• On April 23, 2013 , Miranda said:

Melanie, this party is absolutely perfect! The atmosphere you described sounds like what every 1st birthday should be. I think that being a blogger doesn’t always mean that you have to be innovative. It also means you have to show how simple things can be pulled together to make something really special. Also, I think doughnut favors are totally innovating but…I really like doughnuts.

• On April 23, 2013 , Lisette said:

A good reminder that parties are about the people and not the decor. Your decor was adorable though. Simple and sweet!

• On April 23, 2013 , emily kate said:

Love this! Sweet and simple and fun. And good food, which is what really counts.

• On April 23, 2013 , Lena said:

What a perfect celebration!

• On April 23, 2013 , alli said:

What a perfect party for your little guy, love that balloon display. I hear you on wanting to stress all the details at times — I have to repeat to myself “reign it in!”.

• On April 23, 2013 , Karen said:

Happy 12 months, Beck! What a sweet party! Thank you for sharing the wonderful details, Melanie. You cannot go wrong with donuts in glassine bags stamped with cuteness. Here’s to many, many more birthday celebrations! By the way, it would be cool to incorporate lit up numbers on each birthday, no? Love the yellow!

• On April 24, 2013 , Elena @ Randomly Happy said:

Great idea to keep things simple. The kids really seemed to enjoy it and it looks great. Maybe we all overthink things sometimes. – but this is a good example of how amazing simple can be.

x Elena @ Randomly Happy

• On April 24, 2013 , Farrah said:

So super adorable – I’m sorry we couldn’t be there! Beck is growing up so much and he’s such a little sweet pea. Congrats on this milestone!

• On April 24, 2013 , Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said:

Best 1st Bday EVER!

• On April 25, 2013 , Trude said:

And when they’re just a year, we’re only decorating for ourselves anyway, right? I just love what you did, sleek and simple and right to the point of it all – the actual celebrations. Kinda makes me want to have a breakfast party now. :)

• On April 26, 2013 , lyndsay said:

hooray melanie! super cute party… i totally hear you about planning his 1st birthday party while you’re still pregs… and also about having party planner block. i’ve been having total dessert table fatigue and seeing all the insaneo parties. i adore how lovely and simple and fun and colorful beck’s turned out. nice work on the 1 marquee sign! and most of all… happy 1st birthday Beck! super cutie!

• On April 28, 2013 , Favorite Party Ideas This Week – Oh Happy Day! | Birthday Party Ideas said:

[...] You Are My Fave throws the cutest 1st birthday party. 2. Take an online floral arranging class with Chelsea [...]

• On April 30, 2013 , Paris Bee Kids Blog said:

We’ll be celebrating our Little Miss’ first birthday in August so thanks for all the great ideas! Love the numbered balloons especially. So festive!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

• On June 7, 2013 , ari’s first birthday is my fave | You Are My Fave said:

[...] printed at Staples, the cakes and toppers were all homemade, the marquee 1 sign was recycled from Beck’s party, and we were lucky to try out products (the plates, favors, cupcake liners, candy and balloons) [...]

• On July 12, 2013 , 10th anniversary gifts for wife said:

Your style is really unique compared to other people I have read stuff from.
    Thank you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this blog.

• On July 25, 2013 , message in a bottle gift said:

Make your gift giving successful if you take the time to find out about the women within
    your life. There are text boxes for you to say
    thanks, note the sort of wine and put in a personal message.
    If you are far from your valentine, send her heart shaped chocolates or even a
    memorabilia just for this occasion illustrating just how much
    you are missing your valentine.

• On August 4, 2013 , 30 Blogs Featuring the Most Creative 1st Birthday Parties | Newborn Care said:

[...] A First Birthday Party is My Fave [...]

• On October 17, 2013 , 10 Party Pretties | Steal Mag said:

[…] 5. Truffle Skewers DIY by Heather Baird for Etsy Blog 6. A First Birthday Party by You Are My Fave 7. Music-Inspired Chandelier from the Wedding Chicks 8.  Candied Jewel Cake by A […]

• On March 16, 2014 , Toshiko said:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or senhtoimg. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back..

• On June 26, 2014 , Alexis @ Persia Lou said:

So cute! Love the balloons and the favor bags.

• On July 30, 2014 , Katherine said:

Such a cute and understated birthday party! I know this is an old post, but wondering where the striped tablecloth is from?

• On October 9, 2014 , cindy said:

I just came across this post & LOVED your breakfast party! The link for the invites isn’t working…could you share the name of the actual Etsy shop? Thanks!