a closet full of flats is my fave

May 14, 2013

I am a flats girl all the way. I probably shouldn’t be, I’m fairly short and shoes with a heel might help elongate my sturdy (a nice word for meaty) legs. But I can’t seem to break my flats habit so I’m going to set fashion advice aside and embrace my true love.

affordable flats

affordable flats

affordable flats

affordable flats

This year while I was going through my seasonal closet purge and surge, I realized all my beloved flats were thrashed so I had to start fresh. I may have gone overboard with nine new additions but you know when you run out of something like toothpaste and then you end up buying it every time you go to the store for weeks? That’s what happened here. So today I’m sharing my closet full of flats in hopes that somebody will benefit from my shopping by finding a favorite pair for themselves.

I should mention that I labeled the shoes at full price but I didn’t actually pay full price for any of them. It pays to wait for the sale that is bound to happen within a couple of weeks.

sources: Loly in the Sky Carla Flat (all of the shoes from this brand are handmade and reasonably priced at $40, they’re darn delightful too), Lucky Brand Emmie Flat, mary janes from Target (no longer available but if you’re really lucky, you might find them in your local store), Wanted Nautical Stripe Skimmer, Old Navy Perforated Flats (on sale!), JCrew Factory Cap Toe Flats (on sale!), Banana Republic Abby Flat (my fave pair so far, I waited until they had a 40% off sale and used reward dollars – I want to make my work to get a deal clear), Kimchi Leather Peep-Toe Skimmer (comes in 6 different colors!), Calvin Klein Prelia Ballet Flats (on sale!)

• On May 14, 2013 , Jana @ 333 Hand Lettering Project said:

I’m a flats girls too but I usually end up with several pairs of black and use color in other ways :) It’s all about comfort and they make me feel like a french girl!
    J

• On May 14, 2013 , Audrey - This Little Street said:

Love these! Funny thing is, I am tall and I shouldn’t probably wear more flats so I don’t freak people out – and I think they are super cute! But for some reason I don’t think flats look good on me…probably me being crazy :) xx

• On May 14, 2013 , Kelly said:

I love every pair!

• On May 14, 2013 , Erika said:

I have those teal target flats and love them. They actually have the same ones at Kmart right now except the cutouts are heart shaped.

• On May 14, 2013 , Angelica said:

I absolutely love flats too. I’ve bought a few in the past few months and my husband noticed and asked, “Is that your style now?” and I said, “I guess it is, for now.” You should check out Payless.com because they have this scrunch flat called Claire by Dexter. The shoe has a black patent tip and comes in various colors. They’re sooooo comfortable and reasonably priced that you can purchase all the colors available. So far I have them in grey, leopard print, and beige. I’m getting them in black and nude as soon as I can. More flats please!

• On May 14, 2013 , Kiki said:

Flats are definitely my fave (and I’m short, too!). There’s something so cute about them and I never have to worry about tripping or falling and making a fool of myself when wearing them. That, and they’re so much easier to wear when I work with kids!

Anyway, I LOVE the flats you got. They’re adorable and I definitely don’t think you went overboard getting them all. :)

• On May 14, 2013 , Denise Beckand said:

What a lovely and colorful post!

Greetings from a dutch woman who loves wearing flats too;-)

Denise

• On May 14, 2013 , Meg said:

Great selection.
    I love flats to.
    I just did a tutorial on how to add a detachable bow to our flats. So, don’t get rid of them quite yet. You may be able to transform them. :)

• On May 14, 2013 , Sarah said:

oh those nautical stripe flats are too darling!
    I’m a flats girl ALL the way too (although I love heals) I get blisters when I look at shoes too long, so I have to find flats that pretty much don’t touch my feet. Sigh.

• On May 14, 2013 , Lena said:

I love ‘em all, but those striped flats might just need a stop in my closet ASAP!

• On May 14, 2013 , brooke @ s + b said:

I’m the same way, I wish I was a heels girl though because I’d love to feel classy ;) But flats are my true (shoe) love. I really like the ‘betty’ ones – and they’re so affordable! awesome! :)

• On May 14, 2013 , Megan said:

The nautical striped ones would be the perfect addition to almost any outfit. I love how you called them “sturdy” legs, I too am a sturdy legged girl so I’m definitely stealing that terminology from you!

• On May 14, 2013 , Polly Rowan said:

I love flats too! I’m quite tall though. I love love love those second-to-last peep toe ones from UO! x

• On May 14, 2013 , Stephanie said:

i’m in love!!! (i was hoping that you were going to say you were cleaning out your closet and needed to give them away.) guess i’ll just have to purchase them myself ;)

• On May 14, 2013 , Megan Lane said:

I am a flats girl too, all the way. This is a beautiful collection, there are a couple i might just have to snag, esp those peep toes!

• On May 16, 2013 , Trude said:

Ditto, especially when it comes to work! And for when I want to “fit” under my BF’s chin. Great links! I have the perforated Old Navy ones and love them. They’re my go-to brand for cheap flats that I know I can beat up/sweat in for a few months and not feel bad about tossing.

• On May 18, 2013 , Maria said:

I love them all!

• On May 20, 2013 , Lisette said:

Such great colors! I want to go on a shoe shopping spree too!

• On May 21, 2013 , Carolyn said:

Flats all the way! I loved this post, the shoes you shared and especially that it reminded me to look for new flats because my two most oft-worn pairs are on their last legs (ha, get it? that was unintended…). Just bought two pairs of flats and pumped for them to arrive!

Thanks for the inspiration!

• On May 22, 2013 , emily said:

i have come back to reference this post so many times in the last few days that its embarrassing… i really love flats.

• On September 8, 2014 , education week said:

Hey there! This post couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting
    about this. I will forward this write-up to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!