a non-cheesy inspirational sign is my fave

January 16, 2014

Today’s post is from my real life best friend and all around creative gal, Kelly of Cloudy Day Gray. You could easily adapt this project to spell out any message. I think a happy birthday one is in order.

diy wire typography sign

Let’s celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day this year by creating and displaying something that reminds us to dare to dream big. And to teach our kids the importance of listening to that inner voice that tells us that treating all people equally, no matter what, is the right thing to do.

diy wire typography sign

Supplies: Wire, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, yarn, scissors, and this template.

Process: Shape the wire into the thought bubble and words following the template. Make sure to leave extra wire at the ends to attach to bubble. Wrap the words in yarn and attach to the thought bubble. Then, twist another piece of wire around the thought bubble to hide the connection points of the words and to provide a bit more rigidity. Finally, wrap the thought bubble in yarn, hang, and enjoy!

Time: The entire project took me about five hours from start to finish. It was not difficult, in fact, wrapping the yarn was very relaxing. Now, go make your own!

diy wire typography sign

diy wire typography sign

See more from Kelly on Cloudy Day Gray

• On January 16, 2014 , Chloe @Ergo-Blog said:

I like it! I think this will be my inspirational quote for the day!! =)

• On January 17, 2014 , Terianne said:

I LOVE this idea! I’m definitely going to make one for each of my kids rooms, and maybe as a birthday decoration for my sons first birthday coming up, and maybe one for Valentine’s day….Oh dear, I’m going to have these all over the house.

• On January 17, 2014 , Happy Friday! | From China Village said:

[…] A sweet and inspirational wire DIY. […]

• On January 17, 2014 , lyndsay // coco cake land said:

kelly i LOVE this! you are a signage genius, lady. xo

• On January 18, 2014 , Viviana said:

This is perfect for a birthday photo shoot! Love this :)
    Thanks for sharing.

• On January 27, 2014 , Nico said:

Nice motto “let’s dream big”

• On January 28, 2014 , Julie said:

This is a great idea! Do you know what gage of wire was used? Thanks!

• On January 30, 2014 , gina said:

I’ve been hanging words and intials like mad these past years but have never thought to inclose them in a talk bubble. You are so clever! That’s adorable!!!! Love, love, love it! …. can’t wait for the kids to come home from school… boy, do I have ideas for them! Thank you!

• On January 30, 2014 , Maria said:

Are there any downfalls of using pipe cleaners? I’d imagine it would take way less time!

• On January 30, 2014 , lisa said:

Apostrophe, please. We need more wire, stat! Great idea!!!

• On May 1, 2014 , maigrir yvetot said:

These are truly fantastic ideas in on the topic of blogging.

You have touched some fastidious points here. Any way keep up
    wrinting.

• On May 28, 2014 , Apartments near Kirkwood Community College - Kirkwood Community College Apartments near Kirkwood Community College and Kirkwood Community College housing said:

[…] 9. DIY Typography Artwork  by You Are My Fave […]