In the midst of last tax season (Ryan is a tax attorney and consultant) I took on some home projects to keep me distracted, one of which was getting my office in order. I didn’t do anything that required power tools, just some cosmetic changes and better organization. So if you’re looking to do the same, here are a few tips.
Before the space was just a white room with no storage except these IKEA drawer units which I highly recommend for craft supplies. They hold a load of stuff. My goal was to find a storage solution for bigger items and to add pattern to one wall.
As far as adding pattern to the wall, I went back and forth about whether to do wallpaper or paint and what pattern to do but ended up choosing painted stripes because I knew it was something I could handle. In the end, I could handle it, but it took a lot longer than I expected. Here are the steps with my tips so you don’t make the same mistakes I did.
1. Use 1.5″ painters tape and cover the entire wall from the bottom up. This step took me the longest because I did about half one night and when I woke up, most of it had come off the wall. I realized going the entire length of the wall with just one strip of tape wasn’t sturdy enough so I modified it to about three strips per length.
2. Once the entire wall is covered, remove every other strip of tape.
3. Paint over the entire wall, tape and all, the same color as the base coat of your wall. This will seal the edges so there isn’t any bleeding. (Annie shared this tip with me after I had already painted my stripes and I cursed the entire time I was doing touch-ups).
4. Paint the non taped section of wall in the colors of your choosing, this will probably take a couple of coats. I just purchased samples of each color since I knew I didn’t need that much.
5. Let dry completely then remove tape to reveal a wall of stripes.
As pleased as I was about how the wall turned out, I was equally as pleased with the storage solution I found. Since there isn’t a closet and I have larger items that I need to have easy access to, I chose this storage cabinet from Wayfair. Here are reasons I love it, that I’m not getting paid to say:
1. It’s super sturdy and indestructible.
2. It holds so. much. stuff.
3. The door locks so my kids can’t access my sharp paper cutter or make a mess with my supplies (I hide chocolate in there too).
4. It comes in my favorite color, navy.
5. We can always use it in the garage in the future.
There you have it, the prettiest corners of my office. Next goal is to rip out the carpet Beck dumped a can of paint on.